Back in September, Betaworks put out a call for startups to participate in its latest “camp,” this one focused on audio.
Danika Laszuk, the head of Betaworks Camp, told me at the time that the startup studio was looking for companies that are trying to build “audio-first” experiences for smart speakers and wireless headphones, or pursuing other audio-related opportunities like synthetic audio or social audio.
Now Betaworks is unveiling the six startups that it has selected to participate in the program, covering everything from game assistants to AI music production. Each startup receives a pre-seed investment from Betaworks, and will be working out of the firm’s New York City offices for the next three months.
Here are the companies:
- Storm is working on a live audio platform that it says will allow your friends to ask you anything.
- Midgame is building voice-enabled gaming assistants, starting with a bot that answers questions to improve your gameplay in Stardew Valley.
- Scout FM is developing hands-free listening experiences such as podcast radio stations and voice assistants for Amazon Alexa, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
- Never Before Heard Sounds is an AI-powered music production company, working to create new sounds and new musical datasets.
- SyncFloor is a marketplace of commercial music that can be used in movies, TV shows, ads, video games and elsewhere.
- The Next Big Idea Club offers a subscription for curated nonfiction books — you can buy the books themselves, but also read, watch or listen to condensed summaries.
Welcome to TechNewHero’s 2020 Holiday Gift Guide! Need help with gift ideas? We’re here to …